John A. Bender
For more than 35 years, John Bender has focused his practice on resolving challenging securities, franchise, banking, labor, and other complex civil cases on behalf of businesses and individuals. A certified federal and state court arbitrator and mediator, he also provides dispute-resolution services for business and securities conflicts, as well as for financial disagreements large and small.
John is passionate about helping businesses navigate legal issues, from ensuring compliance with laws and regulations to advocating for clients during litigation and other challenges.
Long recognized as an industry leader, he works with clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- Emory University Law School and Seattle University School of Law (J.D., 1985)
- Saint Martin's College (B.A., 1982)
- Ryan, Swanson & Cleveland PLLC, Member (2004-2019)
- Holland & Knight LLC (and predecessors), Partner (1993-2004)
- Arbitrator and mediator, FINRA, NYSE, AAA, National Futures Association, National Arbitration Forum
- Rule 39.1 mediator for U.S. District Court for Western District of Washington
- Arbitrator for King County, Washington, Superior Court (1992-present)
Honors and awards
- International Franchise Association, Certified Franchise Executive (2011)
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5
- Recognized in “Washington’s Most Amazing Attorneys,” Washington CEO magazine (2005)
- Named to Washington Super Lawyers® list (2004)
- Seattle University School of Law Alumni Association, Board Member (2009-2017)
- King County Bar Association, Member, Judicial Screening and Judicial Conferencing Committee (2006-present); Past Chair of Screening Committee
- International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, Member (2004-present)
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Previously Adjunct Investigative Counsel, Presently Disciplinary Hearing Officer (2003-present)
- American Bar Association, Member of the ABA Franchise Forum, Litigation Section and Ethics Section