Rachel R. Bender
Rachel R. Bender, Managing Member
1001 Fourth Avenue, Suite 4400
Seattle, WA 98154
Rachel R. Bender is the founder and managing member/attorney of Bender Law, PLLC.
Rachel serves clients in the Greater Seattle Area, as well as throughout King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties. An experienced trial attorney, her passion is working closely with families, individuals, and businesses to protect their rights, their loved ones, and their financial future. Rachel offers a compassionate approach to legal advocacy and is a firm champion for her clients. Rachel has been recognized by peers and industry as a top attorney in Washington, being named Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine.
In addition to her law degree, Rachel has an undergraduate degree in English Linguistics, emphasizing in Sociolinguistics, and Community Health Education, as well as two years of Master's-level research, coursework, and thesis focusing on Humanities and Cross-Cultural Studies.
Seattle University School of Law - Juris Doctor
- Pro Bono Pledge Program, Outstanding Service Award
- Public Interest Law Foundation, Grant Recipient
- ACLU Student Board, Vice-President
University of Houston - BA, with honors, English Linguistics and Community Health Education
- International English Honor Society, Officer
Recognition / Honors / Awards
- Recognized as a Washington “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2018 & 2019
- Named one of the top women lawyers in the State of Washington by Seattle Met, 2018 & 2019
- Pro Bono Service Commendation by Washington State Bar Association, 2016/2017
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington Chapter
- King County Bar Association
- Eastside Legal Assistance Program (ELAP), Volunteer Attorney
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Washington Women Lawyers
- Greater Seattle Business Association
- Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
- Business Network International, Education Coordinator
Publications & Presentations
- Estate Planning Seminar Series (ongoing, monthly/quarterly)
- Finances & Estate Planning: What You Need to Know Before You Get Married, Marriage & Money Seminar, 2016
- Partnership & Shareholder Disputes From Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2014
- Domestic Violence & Gender Identity, Association of Graduate Liberal Studies Annual Conference at Reed College, 2012
- International Adoption Laws & Domestic Violence, 18th Annual Conference for Research & Creative Arts, 2012
- Women in Societies & Reproductive Justice in Texas, 17th Annual Conference for Research & Creative Arts, 2011
- Diversity Pedagogy, English Composition & Counter-histories Roundtable, 2010
Rachel credits her passion for the law to her grandparents, who taught her the importance of compassion and community service from an early age. Throughout college and graduate school, she volunteered with local nonprofits and dedicated herself to community-based activism. Rachel lives in West Seattle with her husband and daughter. When she isn't working, Rachel enjoys painting/illustration, cooking, spending time with family, and is a certified open water diver.
Rachel Bender has obtained favorable outcomes for a wide range of clients in a variety of situations. See below for examples of her successes.
- She reached an advantageous high-six-figure settlement, including long-term spousal maintenance, for a spouse in the dissolution of a lengthy marriage.
- In the contentious dissolution of another long-term marriage, she obtained a complex multimillion-dollar agreement involving cash and local and international real estate assets for a high-net-worth financial-services professional.
- She negotiated a $500,000 cash settlement, plus multi-year spousal maintenance, for a spouse in a short-term marriage with no children.
- In a complicated short-term marriage dissolution, she secured a 100% ownership stake for her client in a jointly run business.
- She obtained a highly favorable $300,000 settlement, including long-term spousal maintenance, for a spouse in a long-term marriage dissolution.
- She helped her client gain multi-year spousal maintenance in a military divorce that followed a short-term marriage.
- In a highly contentious dissolution of a short-term marriage, we secured a five-figure settlement for her client.
- She successfully defended her client in a difficult non-parent custody action, obtaining favorable orders requiring the return of the child involved to the biological father.
Other Representative Cases
- She prevailed in a complex Trust and Estate Dispute Resolution Act (TEDRA) action against a rogue personal representative, obtaining a favorable cash settlement for the client-beneficiary.
- In a complex Medicaid appeal against DSHS involving sophisticated annuity classification issues, she secured a five-figure award for her client.
- She successfully defended her client in an administrative law-enforcement action brought by Regional Animal Services of King County.
- She served as co-lead counsel in a nationwide data-breach class action against a state agency, obtaining a multimillion-dollar, corrective-action settlement on behalf of plaintiffs and the class.